January 16, 2018 at 4:30pm or
January 18, 2018 at 4:30pm
Auditions will start promptly at 4:30pm
Jackson’s First Presbyterian Church
743 W. Michigan Ave. Jackson, MI 49201
Please park behind the church and follow the audition signs to the south west door.
Director Melissa McElhone
Musical Director Sarah Baldwin
Choreographer Aimie Smith
About this Musical
Ugly looks quite a bit different from his darling duckling brothers and sisters. The other animals on the farm are quick to notice and point this out, despite his mother’s protective flapping. Feeling rather foul about himself, the little fowl finds himself on an adventure of self-discovery, all the while unknowingly outwitting a very hungry Cat. Along the way, Ugly meets a whole flock of unique characters and finds out being different is not a bad thing to be.
March 23, 24, 25, 2018
Friday and Saturday at 7:00pm, Sunday at 2pm
The Middle School at Parkside Auditorium
2400 4th St. Jackson, MI 49203
This production calls for…
Jackson County youth in 3rd through 9th grade only (no exceptions).
What actors should expect at auditions
Youth will do a short vocal and dance auditions as well as read from the script with other youth.
What actors should prepare for auditions
No preparation necessary. Newbies welcome!
- Ducklings: Beaky, Fluff, Billy, Downy are Ugly’s siblings – cute little kid types. They are among the “popular” ones in the duck yard who enjoy making Ugly feel left out. They sing as a group.
- Ugly: The ugly ducking and the main character of HONK! JR. Innocent, easily confused and very impressionable, Ugly doesn’t understand why it is wrong being different.
- Ida: Ugly’s mom. Ida is extremely protective of her son and committed to his safety. She is sweet but feisty, and she knows how to handle her husband, Drake.
- Drake: Ida’s husband. Drake is a sarcastic character. He is the stereotypical sitcom father – often shirking his parental duties.
- Maureen: A moorhen and Ida’s best friend. A gossip.
- The Cat: The sly, cunning villain of the show.
- Greylag: A somewhat pompous goose and washed-up British military type, Greylag tends to over glorify his mundane activities (i.e. migrating South) to the level of military operation status.
- Dot: A motherly type, she is genuinely concerned with helping Ugly find his mother.
- Barnacles Snowy, & Pinkfoot: The geese in Greylag’s “squad.”
- The Bullfrog: A laidback, self confident frog.Optimistic and funny.
- Penny: The young, beautiful swan that Ugly saves.
- Father Swan, Mother Swan, & Berwick: Penny’s family.
- Grace: The most distinguished duck on the lake, the queen of the duck yard and a bit haughty.
- The Turkey: The headmaster of the ducklings’ school, and a bit snobbish.
- Henrietta: A hen and another of Maureen’s friends, a gossip.
- Jay Bird/Maggie Pie: An investigative reporter. A very “in your face” bird, all she/he cares about is getting a good story.
- The Farmer, Boy, and Girl: The only humans in the show.
Ensemble: The remaining actors play a number of different roles. Throughout the action of the play they take on roles as barn yard animals, geese, children at play, froglets, and part of the Blizzard scene.
Rough Rehearsal Schedule
Read-through & Mandatory Parent Meeting will be held Monday January 22, 2018 at 4:30pm.
Regular rehearsals will be Monday-Thursday 4:30pm-6:00pm starting Tuesday January 23, 2018 at Jackson’s First Presbyterian Church, 743 W. Michigan Ave. Jackson, MI 49201. Not all actors will be called to every rehearsal until tech week.
Rehearsals will move to the Middle School at Parkside’s Auditorium in March 2017, date TBA.
Youth Theater Chair Doug Meyers at firstname.lastname@example.org or (517) 783-1468.